Do you live in Finland and have interest income/interest expenses in another Nordic country?

Do you live in Finland and receive interest income from another Nordic country, or have you taken up a loan in another Nordic country and are paying interest on this loan? The following information only applies to these interests.

Interest income

According to the Nordic tax convention, only Finland can tax interest income from another Nordic country. The tax rate is 30 or 34 %. 

If tax has been withheld erroneously in the another Nordic country, please contact the payer of interest or the tax authority in the another country.

When filling out the Pre-Completed Tax Return form in Finland, you yourself are expected to add the Nordic-sourced interest income in line Other income from foreign sources.

In some rare cases, a Finnish intermediary of the interest payment has withheld tax on it and reported the fact to the Finnish tax authority.  If this concerns you, the Nordic-sourced interest income is already recorded in the Pre-Completed Tax Return, and you will only have to check that the amounts are correct. 

Interest to pay

If a loan has been taken in another country, a Finnish tax resident will be entitled to deductions for the interest payments on the loan in the same way and under the same restrictions as with domestic loans.

Select the other country here:   Denmark | Iceland | Norway | Sweden