Do you live in Sweden and have interest income/ interest expenses in another Nordic country?

This applies to persons resident in Sweden who receive interest income from another Nordic country, or pay interest to a creditor in another Nordic country. The information deals only with taxation of this income/expenditure.

Interest income

If you receive interest income on bank accounts, receivables etc. in another Nordic country, this interest income is taxable only in Sweden. No taxation of the interest income should take place in the other Nordic country.

If tax has been incorrectly withheld in the other Nordic country you may request repayment of the tax that has been withheld. Contact the tax administration or the bank in the other Nordic country for further information.

Interest income is taxed as income from capital and the tax rate is 30 %.

Interest expenses

Interest expenses are deductible in Sweden under income from capital if you live in Sweden. This also applies to interest expenses on foreign loans.

Select the other country here:   Denmark | Iceland | Norway | Finland |